Archived News: Currently taking commissions for original and commercial works of art.
Dec 12 -
- Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year!
Nov 12 -
- Just finished Pirate Eye: A Pirate's Life is Not for Me. The book is scheduled to come out spring of 2013, more details to follow.
Oct 12 -
- Pirate Eye promotion is in full swing! While the book is not hitting the shelves until December, October is the month that Pirate Eye: Mark of the Black Widow is available for order through Previews, page 226 to be exact.
- Last month there was several website featured teasers and previews of the book, this month Joe Grahn and I were interviewed by Jonathan Pilley of Ominicomic. To read the interview click here!
- Omnicomic also received an advanced copy of the book and provided a stellar review of the book here. Jonathan was too kind and had this to say about my work: Yonder's art is very rough and dark, which works exceptionally well for Pirate Eye: Mark of the Black Widow. There are a lot of low light environs Smitty visits, including a bar, street at night and docks, all of which are depicted flawlessly as such. In fact, Yonder's use of shading really helps with the pirate tone of the book, making it feel like you're in a port town alongside Smitty.
To close out the month’s update, I wanted to share a link to Comic Book Resources feature Flipping through Previews October 2012. This feature highlights a variety of books featured in Previews, and to have a book featured here really helps comic stories, creators, publishers and readers see what’s coming out and peak their interest. Having our book featured here is such a fantastic promotion opportunity that my jaw dropped when I saw the post.
- More details on this and other projects next month!
Sep 12 -
- The marketing campaign continues when Neverending Digression annouces that Pirate Eye has set sail with a fun spot !
- Stay tuned as October will bring more information about how to order the book, upcoming original art giveaways and in-store signings !
Aug 12 -
- Major update in the 2012 Fine Art Gallery with 3 new pieces! Enjoy some details and process images for Sea of Ideas, the Fall Below, and Mouth Full of Questions.
- Also Updates in the Comic Art Galleray as I have uploaded the first 6 pages for Dannemora.
Jul 12 -
- While Pirate Eye is being edited, I found myself with a rare break from comics, so I decided it was best to dive back into painting!
- Not ready to ditch the ink pens and digital coloring just yet, I took a slightly different approach to creating, more akin to illustration. Either way I am very happy with the results and hope to explore more in this direction. Please enjoy All Is Not Lost, now featured in the Fine Art Gallery.
- Lastly I wanted to share some other good news, I recently finished the short story "Living Dead" for the Oxymoron Anthology Hardback coming out through Comix Tribe.
- Mark Bertolini wrote a fantastic script, and our story "Living Dead" is featured as a promotional download on Kick Starter; scroll down about half way to find the link, also there are snippets of our story and the others featured in the videos on the page.
- So make sure you stop by donate, help us all get the book out on the stands, and don't forget your rain poncho as it's gonna get messy. Enjoy!
Jun 12 -
- In May Cameron Cooke and I had a comic publisher express some interest in Dannemora, so we took the opportunity to revisit the book and rework the introduction. After the dust has settled the redone introduction came in at 6 pages, and made a really strong intro to the story and a much grittier approach to this prison tale. I hope to have the updated pages posted here sometime before summer’s end however in the meantime please enjoy a few snippets of panels from the first 6 pages. Oh and while you are checking these out, keep your fingers crossed as we hope the next update will have some really good news!
May 12 -
- Feverishly finishing Pirate Eye Mark of the Black Widow. I can't share final art so I am sharing colors to some of the panels without the line art.
- I also just finished a new painting titled Weight. Featured in the 2012 Fine Art Gallery.
Apr 12 -
- A quick update this month, with 3 new digital paintings added to the 2012 Fine Art Section.
- And previews of two comic projects currently being worked on.
Mar 12 -
- Biggest update, there are new paintings in the 2012 Fine Art Section! Pieces include 2 digital paintings, and one traditional painting.
- Still have a handful of paintings in various stages of completion. Good news with the new studio space I have a bit more room to alternate what is on the easel at any given time, bad news my excitement to start new pieces can get the best of me and I end up with several half finished or near completed canvases. But I am forcing myself to focus more on the near completed canvases as I have ideas for a large scale triptych that I will only start once I am finished with my other canvases. So enjoy pics of these pieces already in progress.
- But to finish out the month I want to share two points, painting is still taking place and I do hope to have more pieces soon. The other bit of news is that I am in the early stages of laying out my next art book! I have been so focused on comics as of late that I don’t want to forget the creative freedom and excitement that painting has offered me, and with all that has happened with my life I want to ensure that it is captured. So as things become more solidified I hope to share, but I want to say by mid to late year the new art book should be available!
- In the mean time enjoy the newly re-designed Agent Captain!
Feb 12 -
I am currently working on the last 16 pages of Pirate Eye: Mark of the Black Widow, while there is fantastic news I want to share, Joe Grahn and I just can’t at the moment. I can assure you all that it will be worth the wait. In the mean time please enjoy a snippet of a panel in progress.
- Next up a sneak peek at the brand new project with CW Cooke, so far we are coordinating the project with other creators but unfortunately with many projects still in their infancy there is not a lot of details we can share yet. We hope as things progress further we will be able to share more. But for the moment enjoy a panel from our two page teaser.
- Next up FUBAR 2! While there was a good amount of internet chat about the project we collectively made it to the number 6 spot on the New York Times Best Seller List for Graphic Novels! I did want to share the final 6 page story titled, FUBAR: Unit 731, written by Mark Bertolini. And provide you a link to order your very own copy here! It’s been a real treat to work with the entire crew on this project and hope that the next installment of FUBAR has another opportunity for me to provide some art!
Lastly in comic news, I wanted to share another teaser for Teaser, the long awaiting project from Mark and I. We both have been pretty busy with other projects and while this story is very close to both of our hearts we have not had the time to really devote to it as much as we wanted but now I am getting some pages done and while Mark is finishing up the script I thought I’d share some art.
- In other art news I wanted to share with you some photos of some new paintings in progress. Enjoy!
Jan 12 -
I wanted to start the New Year off with some Pirate Eye news; Joe Grahn and I finished up a solid 8 page introduction to Pirate Eye: Mark of the Black Widow. Sometime in November, a publishing company found their way to my website and after seeing some of the Pirate Eye covers I had they were interested in find out more. So Joe and I dusted off the script and put together a rocking cover and the first two scenes for a submission package. Even if the opportunity with this particular publisher does not work, Joe and I are committed to finish Pirate Eye this year and hopefully self-publish or find a publisher this year. Both Joe and I were blown away that the publisher sought us out, when usually it’s the other way around. Be sure to stop by the Pirate Eye section here to see the first 8 pages of our tale.
In other Comic News, CW Cooke and I had a pretty interesting opportunity to create a character for an expanding universe by a fellow creator. CW and I put our thinking caps together and after plenty of back and forth, we nailed 3 really strong concepts. At the moment we are focusing on one of them and while I can’t share too many details until everything is worked out I can share with you a glimpse of the cover. Stay tuned for more!
In other news I have been focusing a good amount of time on digital paintings as of late, while there are inherent perks or benefits to working digital, mostly the ‘undo’ feature it often allows me to stretch other creative muscles. Personally I work relatively fast when I am in the moment, however often times with traditional materials drying time is needed, and when one rushes traditional materials the results can often lead to muddy colors or worse the underlying structure of a piece can be so easily lost never to return again. While I do agree that the journey of a painting can often lead to even more exciting visuals, this is not a hard and fast rule. While digital painting has been a good addition to my skill set I am looking to the future and trying to discover how to bridge the gap between traditional and digital painting as I move into the New Year.
- Before I forget I did complete a new mixed media work titled Cherry Blossom Lady, and it is now the first piece of the New Year featured in the 2012 Fine Art Galleray. Enjoy!
- Last year was a whirlwind of activities from buying & renovating a home to getting engaged & married to starting a new job, I did spend time reflecting on all that has happened and while I may never use this platform to get into the specifics I can say that I hope this year brings new and exciting pieces of art.